Sunday, April 3, 2011

I ♥ CEBU FOOD-- Part 2

I ♥ CEBU food
Part 2


Writing this post is making me hungry by the second.
Why not? For once again I will be talking about food and as I have promised on my earlier blog post I ♥ CEBU FOOD-- Part 1 I will create PART 2 and this time giving you a list of the Top 10 most popular Cebuano food based on my interview on some people that I knew-- mostly Cebuanos, some from other provinces who have stayed in Cebu...and of course based also from my own preferences.

But yeah, just like how I felt, ranking and scoring to get the Top Ten was really difficult. There are some of my Top which didn't make it to the overall Top 10-- even if i was a little (only a little) disappointed, I have to post the list based on all my interviews...haha...however I have to admit, I have some biases, but in time you will surely agree that these food should make it to the Top 10 Favorite Cebuano Food.

Are you ready to rumble??? My stomach has already started to ...

Let's start on.....

10. Otap and Rosquillos


Waaa? two delicacies in one number... I admit, there's a tie on this one. Hahaha!
Both can be eaten as merienda / snack and as dessert!

Otap ~ is an oval shaped crispy biscuit. It's crispiness is from the fragility of its wafer like crust, it could actually be messy to eat. Hahaha! Made from flour, shortening and coconut, it is also sprinlkled with sugar. Otap originated in Cebu but is also popular in other provinces of the Visayas. It is one of the favorite pampasalubong. More of Otap? you can visit The Otap as A Snack



Rosquillos ~ are ring shaped cookies from flour, eggs, shortening, baking powder and sugar. Some are made chewy and some are mady extra crunchy or crispy. The most popular Rosquillos is from the town of Liloan, Cebu wherein they also have a Rosquillos Festival every end of May. For more information about Rosquillos and its history you can check out http://explorecebu.com/content/rosquillos-festival. ^_^





9. La-maw

What??? Lamaw? Yes, lamaw. It is a snack/drink/dessert from coconut juice or milk and buko or young coconut meat. Ok what's the difference between lamaw and butong? Actually, there isn't much except-- butong actually is misconcepted as lamaw where in fact lamaw has added sugar or milk while butong has no added sugar or milk. Really really? Yes, really... I learned that when I asked my Aunt about it... Aaaaah! Now I know! It is best served chilled while eating other snacks or meal, other fruits can be added to it too. ^_^ Fact is La-maw is the simplest form of buko salad. Perfect for summer! ^_^

More awesome Summer quenchers check out

8. Su-Tu-Kil

Oww! I just hit three birds with one stone. But hey, you have to agree that SuTuKil will always be a favorite Cebuano food trip. Mainly seafood on the menu, SuTuKil actually is Sugba- Tula- Kilaw.

Sugba/ Sinugba~ simply means broiled or barbecued

Tula/ Tinuwa~ is the food with hot sabaw or broth/soup cooked with spices


Kilaw/ Kinilaw~ a big favorite, is raw fish or other raw food mixed in vinegar and other spices


SuTuKil is very popular especially in Mactan Island of Cebu where there are seaside places that offer the SuTuKil way--- by choosing your own fresh fish or other seafood to have them Sugba, Tula, or Kilaw... ^__^ ♥ Seafood!!!





7. Dried Mangoes/ Mango Chips

Yeeeey! For me I have this in Number 1 in my own top ten list. And it's just the on the 7th? Noooo!!! Hahaha...Oh well, dried mangoes is an all time favorite...simply because Mangoes are number one favorite fruits amongst Pinoys. Drying the mangoes make it more sweet and have more texture. More so, it is easily carried around and eaten as snacks or treats. Mangoes are sun-dried after cutting them into slices or into chips. I so wanna have a big pack right now! ^_^




6. Carcar Chicharon

It has to be Carcar's for the place is not only known popular for their shoes and other footwear, but also for their delectable Chicharon. Curious how chicharon is made? First let's discuss what is it made of--simply pork skin fried and refried until it grows extracrispy. The fat and the skin combined with salt and sometimes other spices then dipped into plain vinegar or sometimes hinalang or more famous Pinakurat vinegar. Next time you come to turn in Carcar's Rotonda, you might wanna stop for a while and try chicharon .

5. Inasal Manok
Wait, isn't lechon manok famous in other provinces as well? Hmmm... let me make this clear....Inasal Manok is actually quite different from the usual lechon manok. The best recipe for Inasal Manok is the one from Dumanjug.
To those who don't know what manok means -- it's chicken. Haha...wanna know the recipe? I found the detailed one at this site http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/chicken-inasal-recipe/.



However Dumanjug's special Inasal looks like this. The difference? The Dumanjoans have a special way in preparing it and they use organic fed native chickens. ^_^ A must-try and best complemented with atsara.






4. Larsian's Barbecue


Why not? Okay let's say, you can find the same kind of food elsewhere in the Philippines. But to be eating at Larsian's famous for their barbecues is a different experience. There's Larsians near Fuente Osmeña as well as in Mactan. Eitherwhich, people love to eat in Larsian's. Issues rolled about sanitation and smoke and carcinogens, but hey, stubborn Filipinos. Hahaha! Really curious what's there? try reading here http://www.cebucentral.com/cebuinfocus/Larsian.html
"So unsa man? Larsian ta? Wai blema!"


3. Siomai sa Tisa


Wait, isn't siomai chinese? haha, well of course. However Tisa has a special way of presenting it, and instantly, it has become known as Siomai from Tisa. Hmmm, though I am not so crazy about Siomai sa Tisa, I have to say I really am a fan of siomai. But siomai from Tisa has a special distinct flavor, must be the sauce or it must be the ingredients to the stuffing. Don't really know, but it's very flavorful. ^__^ heehee Cebuanos really love siomai...i mean really...



2. Lechon Baboy


Crispy and crunchy brown scrumptous skin and savory juicy tender meat, lechon baboy is always present in festivities such as weddings, birthdays and other celebrations.

What makes Cebu Lechon Baboy different from other Lechon? Aside from being cooked over burning charcoals, it is later cooked over live fire...uhuh...now you know. Another thing, Cebuanos don't have sarsa sauce made up of a liver paste base, which is the usual sauce. Cebuanos just have vinegar with soy sauce and chili dip. ^_^



......AND!!!!

1. Buwad!!!













"buntag buwad, udto buwad, inig ka hapon mag sugba tag buwad!!!"

And Taboan is just the place to be!
There's nowhere else you can get the best kind and in many different kinds than here in Taboan Buwad Market Cebu City. Danggit? Dilis? Pusit? Pinikas? Buwad is any dried fish, salted or unsalted-- young and old, rich or poor, everyone enjoys it. Aside from being a side dish or a complement to other viand...Just have a saucer with suka (vinegar) and rice, and it's already a meal!





That's it! Phew! That's the Top Ten Favorite Food amongst Cebuanos! ^__^ hahaha
however, I have to present to you the ALL TIME popular Cebuano food...
It's not in the list because it goes well with most of them...
I am talking about nothing else but PUSO...yep...that's right! the Hanging Rice... ^_^ a staple cebuano food...












Thanks guys for reading! and to all my friends who helped me too! ^_^ Enjoy Cebu!


3 comments:

  1. And I went to Taboan the other day. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Problem: HP Printer not connecting to my laptop.

    I had an issue while connecting my 2 year old HP printer to my brother's laptop that I had borrowed for starting my own business. I used a quick google search to fix the problem but that did not help me.

    I then decided to get professional help to solve my problem. After having received many quotations from various companies, i decided to go ahead with Online Tech Repair (www.onlinetechrepairs.com).

    Reasons I chose them over the others:
    1) They were extremely friendly and patient with me during my initial discussions and responded promptly to my request.
    2) Their prices were extremely reasonable.
    3) They were ready and willing to walk me through the entire process step by step and were on call with me till i got it fixed.

    How did they do it
    1) They first asked me to state my problem clearly and asked me a few questions. This was done to detect any physical connectivity issues with the printer.
    2) After having answered this, they confirmed that the printer and the laptop were functioning correctly.
    3) They then, asked me if they could access my laptop remotely to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. I agreed.
    4) One of the tech support executives accessed my laptop and started troubleshooting.
    5) I sat back and watched as the tech support executive was navigating my laptop to spot the issue. The issue was fixed.
    6) I was told that it was due to an older version of the driver that had been installed.

    My Experience
    I loved the entire friendly conversation that took place with them. They understood my needs clearly and acted upon the solution immediately. Being a technical noob, i sometimes find it difficult to communicate with tech support teams. It was a very different experience with the guys at Online Tech Repairs. You can check out their website www.onlinetechrepairs.com or call them on 1-914-613-3786.
    Would definitely recommend this service to anyone who needs help fixing their computers.
    Thanks a ton guys. Great Job....!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VIRUS REMOVAL

    Is Your Computer Sluggish or Plagued With a Virus? – If So you Need Online Tech Repairs
    As a leader in online computer repair, Online Tech Repairs Inc has the experience to deliver professional system optimization and virus removal.Headquartered in Great Neck, New York our certified technicians have been providing online computer repair and virus removal for customers around the world since 2004.
    Our three step system is easy to use; and provides you a safe, unobtrusive, and cost effective alternative to your computer service needs. By using state-of-the-art technology our computer experts can diagnose, and repair your computer system through the internet, no matter where you are.
    Our technician will guide you through the installation of Online Tech Repair Inc secure software. This software allows your dedicated computer expert to see and operate your computer just as if he was in the room with you. That means you don't have to unplug everything and bring it to our shop, or have a stranger tramping through your home.
    From our remote location the Online Tech Repairs.com expert can handle any computer issue you want addressed, like:
    • - System Optimization
    • - How it works Software Installations or Upgrades
    • - How it works Virus Removal
    • - How it works Home Network Set-ups
    Just to name a few.
    If you are unsure of what the problem may be, that is okay. We can run a complete diagnostic on your system and fix the problems we encounter. When we are done our software is removed; leaving you with a safe, secure and properly functioning system. The whole process usually takes less than an hour. You probably couldn't even get your computer to your local repair shop that fast!
    Call us now for a FREE COMPUTER DIAGONISTIC using DISCOUNT CODE (otr214423@gmail.com) on +1-914-613-3786 or chat with us on www.onlinetechrepairs.com.

    ReplyDelete